Monday, August 27, 2012

Once a wool snob, always a wool snob. Except when I'm not...

I like wool. I mean, I really, really like wool. I like the way it feels, particularly if it's got some texture and body to it. I like the way it smells, I like the way it springs back after you pull on it or push it around, or twist it into some bizarre cabled what-have-you. So you can imagine my surprise and concern at being unable to put down this:
Ben's blanket
This is a 12-pointed star baby blanket for my friend's new baby (25 days old tomorrow), and it is crocheted (sorry JoAnna!) in a yarn that is (gasp!) 80% acrylic. I await an explanation from one of you wise folks out there in the computer, because I am at a loss to explain my complete and utter addiction to neverending double crochet (US terminology) in babymelter petroleum product yarn.

Bah. My inner Luddite is perturbed.

2 comments:

JoAnnaJae said...

I would like to clarify that I am completely supportive of your bi-craftuality.

I am just jealous because crochet just isn't that into me....

IReadLit24-7 said...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm a late-blooming crocheter, and in my opinion, life is too short to crochet with acrylic. Part of the experience of crocheting/knitting is the tactile feeling of the wool slipping through your hands. It's soothing to the mind and the body. I'd rather pay more for the good stuff (it's cheaper than therapy I tell my husband) than to compromise on the cheap stuff that feels like plastic. But then I remember being a new mom, and the last thing I would have time for is to hand-wash a blankie or a sweater that has been spit-up upon. Back then, convenience was the order of the day. And so, keeping that in mind, I'll consent to use (yuck) arcylic because it'll help the new mom out. Hmm, maybe that's why I've never crocheted two baby blankets in a row...working up something in a wool/silk blend is my reward for whipping up a baby blanket in an acrylic blend. I'll have to remember that rationale the next time I drop some serious cash at my LYS.