Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The first FOs of 2010

A couple of items that, as of today, are on their way to the Windy City. First up:

Malabrigo beret

Pattern: Star Crossed Slouchy Beret by Natalie Larson
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Stone Blue, a gift in last year's WHMU (WAMSKAL) Festivus gift exchange, 210 yds/100 gr. I used just barely over half a skein (48 grams in hat, 46 grams left).
Needles: US 10/6.0 mm and US 11/8.0 mm for ribbing and rest of hat respectively.
Start/finish: 3/1-6/1/10, making this the First FO of 2010
Comments/mods: no mods, only comment is that 1) I love this yarn (to-die-for soft), if only for squooshy soft things like hats and cowls and 2) I was surprised at how much I liked the fabric knit on needles two sizes larger then called for on the label. I am going to try and squeeze another hat out of the remaining 46 gr using just the size 10 needles. If it doesn't fit me, it might fit one of the kids someday.

FO #2:

Watery socks

Pattern: Ocean Toes by Cat Bordhi, Cedar architecture from her fabulous book
Yarn: Dream in Color Starry, about two thirds of a skein, which would round up to about 300 yds.
Needles: US 2/2.75 mm
Start/finish: 6 Dec - 10 January 2010, making them the second, although longer process, FO of 2010
Comments/mods: this yarn was repurposed after my failed Viper Pilots experiment. The yarn was meant for my best buddy Aquaphilic, and as she is something of a fan of BSG, I was hoping the Viper Pilots would do the trick. Unfortunately, my choice of needle size led to a Viper Pilot that was a bit on the small side. So on to Ocean Toes, also an appropriate choice given her athletic history.

Watery socks

The yarn was lovely to work with, and the sparkle is just fun. We'll have to wait for an update from Aquaphilic as to how well it wears in the future.

The only modification I had to do to adjust the pattern to fit a women's US size 10 (approximately) was work an extra 12 rows of stockinette before beginning the toe decreases. Here's hoping they fit!

Both of these lovely items are winging their way to the cold Midwest as we speak, so I'd better get cracking on another winter hat. I still need one!

No comments: