Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hush hush hush hush (H^4)

Through the auspices of Ravelry, I've joined my first swap - the Hush Hush Handspun Hootenanny (because how can any one resist a hootenanny?). I've got about a month to spin up 4 oz of fiber for my swap pal, and send it off along with 4 oz of unspun fiber and other assorted goodies.

In any event, in order for my pal to get some ideas about what to do for me, I've got to answer a questionnaire. So if you're looking for knitting/fiber content, come back later. If you're my swap pal, read on:

1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?
I've been spinning about a year and a half, and I would classify myself as intermediate.

2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?
Most of my yarns are 2 or 3-ply, but working with singles is definitely on my list. I'm not big on art yarns.

3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
Both, but mostly on a wheel.

4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don't like?
I've liked most of the stuff I've tried, but particular favs are BFL, Shetland and Targhee.

5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
My favorite dealer fiber provider is Adrian at Hello Yarn - I'm in her fiber club, and I've enjoyed everything I've gotten from her. I've also gotten nice stuff from Woodland Woolworks.

6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
Silk and Cormo.

7. Is there any techniques you would like to learn?
Supported long draw

8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
I have done a bit of dyeing in the past, but I have small kids so anything too involved is out for the moment.

9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I'd prefer ready to spin fiber.

10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
After I'm done placing it at strategic points around the house and adoring it, I knit with it. I've done a pair of socks and a shawl, and I'm working on a scarf, but most of my handspun seems to be waiting for the right project to come along.

11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
Nope.

12. What colors "fall into your shopping basket"? Any colors you just can't stand?
The colors I usually gravitate towards are blues, purples, cool reds and greys. But I see this as a good opportunity to try some colorways that I wouldn't necessarily choose for myself, so go nuts. If I had to pick a color to avoid, it would be bright yellow.

13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
Left-over singles from this.

14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
I'm a triathlete, so I spend a fair bit of time swimming or riding or running. And I read a lot of science fiction. Other then that I'm chasing my daughters around.

15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?
My family (husband, two kids) and my work (research scientist).

16. Do you have an online wishlist?
Nope.

17. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides fiber and yarn? What else is there?

18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've got subscriptions to Interweave Knits and Spin Off. I'm a big fan of Norah Gaughan patterns, and I'm coveting a copy of The Opinionated Knitter.

19. When is your birthday?
September 6

20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
No idea - anyone who knows me in real life want to pose suggestions?

21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)?
Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot. Oh, and the humid. Unbelievable. So (sob) no chocolate unless you're shipping my package packed in dry ice.

22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!
My many-times great grandfather was a buddy of Cotton Mather's.

Favorites
favorite painting/picture(link):
Candy: dark chocolate
Food: see above
Drink: dark beer (I'm sensing a theme here...)
Movie(s): I have to pick just one?
TV Show(s):
Book(s): Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Guilty Pleasure(s): long baths

1 comment:

bockstark.knits said...

ooooh, I am SOOOO jealous that you are in the HY fiber club! And how do you do it - triathelete AND kids AND spinning??? Amazing!

Glad to have you as part of the HHHH!