Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Wheel surgery

A few weeks ago I made a wee list of Holiday Crafting Goals (TM). I got everything set up to whip through my Christmas gifts in record time, got a few done, and promptly turned around a began spinning up a sweater lot of Hello Yarn fiber (Dark and Stormy Shetland, so glorious!). Predictably enough, the Holiday Gift Gods saw my hubris, and decided that it was time to give me a swift kick in the ass, because there I was, happily treadling along, when suddenly, I wasn't...
Wheel surgery
I don't know if you can see so well in that photo, but my footman and my treadle are no longer connected,
Wheel surgery (1)
which means no more spinning!

I'll admit, a few tears were shed. And then a bit of money was spent on replacement parts from the lovely Morgaine at Carolina Homespun. After some back and forth about where to ship the parts, they were sent out, and arrived here in London yesterday*.
Wheel surgery (4)
So this evening, feeling flush about having finished the overseas Christmas New Year's presents yesterday, I took the wheel into Himself's lair for some surgery.

Taking out the first bit of the broken connector was straightforward, involving one screw driver. Then things got a bit more complicated: the second end of the connector is held in place by a screw with a square hole in it.
Wheel surgery (7)
No problem, thought I, and I pulled out the drawer of small wrenches for all sorts of things.
Wheel surgery (8)
Apparently I need to rename this "The Drawer of Small Wrenches for All Sorts of Things that Need Hexagonal Wrenches".

No problem, I thought again, I live with a man who has more hand tools then I have skeins of yarn (no joke!). Surely there is something in this garage that will work. Some pawing through another few drawers and, ta da!
Wheel surgery (9)
A square headed screw driver type-thingie! That is too big...le sigh.

Ok, I needed to bust out the big guns - time for the power tools:
Wheel surgery (10)
Not one, but two square drivers. One the same size as the above screw driver, and one bigger. Bugger.

Now I am trapped at the point of having a half-way repaired wheel, with a spinning lesson tomorrow morning at 10:30 am, and no way to unscrew this damned teensy screw. The Holiday Crafting Gods are not to be messed with people, not to be messed with...

So I'm going to go drown my sorrows in Peter Pan pantomime (with The Fonz!!!), and see if I can't puzzle this out later. Or maybe just get Himself to do it - I'm sure he can come up with something, right?

* It should be noted that Morgaine sent them out immediately, the delay came from the fact that they went to Houston, then to Himself's office mailroom, and then to Himself (and, by extension, me).

4 comments:

Jacqui Harding said...

Diasaster! I'm sure I have Ikea allen keys that would fit. But I'm not really on the doorstep :(
Enjoy the panto. The Fonz! Happy days :)

(see what I did there...)

porpoise said...

Sadly, you are not on my doorstep (for more reasons then just your Ikea allen keys!), but I managed to get it sorted, thanks to a helpful Twitter tip from NinjaBex.

The Fonz was amazing - they even sang the Happy Days theme song. Much fun was had by all.

Alli said...

See, you have a Canadian wheel and you should have asked your Canadian friend! What you needed was a Robinson screwdriver and I could have sorted you out in about 30 seconds! Let me know in the future if you need help/access to funny Canuck tools!

Alli said...

Oops - apparently I mean Robertson screwdriver, not Robinson!