Saturday, April 20, 2013

FO: Cornflower Grace

Cornflower grace (2)

Now that this baby has been delivered to the recipient, I can finally blog about it.

Pattern: Cinnamon Grace by Katie Harris
Yarn: Green Mountain Spinnery Sock Art Forest, 70% wool/30% Tencel, 400 yds/100 gr - this scarf used about 80 gr, so approximately 320 yds total.
Needles: US 3/3.25 mm circulars
Start/finish: 6 April - 9 April 2013.
Comments/modifications: This is a very nice pattern, despite some issues that I will discuss farther down. The center panel is knit from tip to tip, then you pick up stitches along the long side and knit the edging downwards.
Cornflower grace (3)
Cornflower grace (4)
There is a large increase in the number of stitches for the edging within the first couple of rows, giving it a bit of a ruffled effect.
Cornflower grace (7)
The final dimensions were 76 inches long and 8 inches deep (including the ribbing) , making it long enough to wrap nicely around the neck.

I did have a couple of issues with the pattern, however. Some portions of the directions were very confusing on first (or second, or third) reading, but I was able to figure it out eventually. To be completely fair, this is a free pattern, so I don't expect tech editing, but some careful editing and a bit of clarification would have been very welcome.

Cornflower grace (5)
My only other issue was that I expected the scarf to end up a bit wider - the pictures in the pattern show it worn more like a shawlette then a scarf, so I was expecting a slightly wider final project. I did work the ribbing a bit longer then called for, but if I knit this again, I will keep increasing on the center panel until it's wider.

An aside: The events of the past week have thrown me for a loop, having grown up in Boston, so that's the reason for prolonged blog silence. I am researching the charities available, but I plan to donate 100% of all sales of the Boston Toque (Ravelry link), and 50% of sales of the Travelling Hats ebook (Ravelry link) from now until 15 July to a charity focusing on the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings on 15 April. I'll have a decision on the charity, and more information on Monday, but if you feel inspired to go buy either the pattern or the ebook right away, feel free. And thank you!

2 comments:

JoAnnaJae said...

This Boston stuff is completely nutter. My friend goes to MIT and said the shooting happened right outside her building. Not ok. Hope everyone you know there is doing well after an intense week. Hug.

porpoise said...

I hope your friend is doing ok! It's just been crazy. When I saw the photos taken of the sidewalk in Copley Square where the first bomb went off, I realized it was more or less directly in front of the place where I took ballet for seven years as a kid. So wrong in so many ways. I hope that we can manage to get some answers about the whole thing soon.