Sunday, August 28, 2011

Spindling again

Sour Figs in progress

I brought my Golding spindle and some Hello Yarn Shetland (in "Sour Figs") with me for vacation, with the idea of doing a bit of real handspinning while we were away. When we got to the airport, I opened my bag to discover that the spindle had broken. Disaster! The whorl cracked across in two separate places, and came completely detached from the shaft. Things were not looking good in Porpoise-ville.

However, it just so happens that Tom and Diane Golding live a mile from my mother-in-law in Vermont. So I called them up, went by with my broken spindle, and hoped that Tom could work his magic and fix it. Lo and behold, two days, some wood glue and a rebalance later, my spindle is back and better then ever!

Since Friday, I've spun up 5/6ths of my Sour Figs. I've got one more single to spin, a two-ply to do, and then I'll get to the cabling portion of the program. I can't wait to see how the yarn comes out! People keep asking me what I'm going to do make with it, and I have no idea. A six-ply cable is a serious time investment, and I have no idea if I'm going to have any real amount of yardage. But I'm hoping for a hat or a cowl-worth of yarn. And at the rate I'm going, I need a trip to Amy to get some more fiber before we leave!

No comments: