Wednesday, March 25, 2009

FO: Science Geek socks

DNA socks

Pattern: Biological Clocks by Janel Laidman, from The Eclectic Sole
Yarn: Araucania Ranco, 1 skein
Needles: US 1/2.25 mm
Gauge: 9 sts (!)/12 rows per inch
Comments/mods: These socks have been on my list for a while now, and I finally cast on for them in January. With one thing and another, the knitting was finally done on the last day of February, but I did not get a chance to sew down the cuffs. So here they are for March.

I did change the pattern a bit from what is in the book. First off, the pattern in the book is written for a smaller foot then mine. That wasn't so bad for the circumference of the sock (62 stitches), but the number of increases for the gusset was a bit wonky. I forged ahead, continuing the increases to what I thought was a reasonable number for my foot, did the heel, got through 3 of 4 charts, and then bowed to the inevitable realization that the sock was too big. So I ripped back to the midfoot and used Cat Bordhi's Riverbend sockitecture for the rest of the foot, did an eye of partridge heel and went on with the charts. This worked much better, and they fit great!


DNA socks

I really enjoyed this yarn - it's got a very nice, substantial feel to it but is plenty soft enough for next-to-skin wear, and the colors are just lovely. I can't really justify any more yarn purchases (look for a dramatic update on the amount of Knit Picks Palette I own in the near future), but when I get back to that point, I'll get some more of this.


DNA socks
Heh heh...I have DNA on my feet...what a geek!

******************************************************
Book update for Feb/March:
16. Whiskey and Water - Elizabeth Bear
15. The Alton Gift - Marion Zimmer Bradley and Deborah J. Ross
14. Dragon Singer - Anne McCaffrey
13. The Bull from the Sea - Mary Renault
March
12. Careless in Red - Elizabeth George
11. New Amsterdam - Elizabeth Bear
10. In the Moon of Red Ponies - James Lee Burke
9. A Different Light - Elizabeth Lynn
8. Little Brother - Cory Doctorow
7. Darwinia - Robert Charles Wilson
February
6. Undertow - Elizabeth Bear (I needed some aliens to recover from the overload of teenage vampire hormonal angst and wizard vs. werewolf shenanigans)
5. Fool Moon - Jim Butcher
4. Breaking Dawn - Stephanie Meyer (phew!)
3. Eclipse - Stephanie Meyer
New Moon - Stephanie Meyer
1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson, translated from Swedish by Reg Keeland.
January

4 comments:

Knitika said...

Hi,

I saw your socks on SAM and they're gorgeous! The riverbed architecture looks good with the pattern.

You may have already read this, but Araucania felts notoriously. Wash with supercare! Like by hand and even then, with care. Save the socks!

porpoise said...

I hadn't heard that about Araucania, but I have already seen quite a bit of fuzzing on the heels. Thanks for the tip!

And thanks for the kind words as well. I think the riverbed is my favorite out of that book so far (although I admit, I've only tried two!).

Anonymous said...

how on earth do you have time to knit, spin, read, AND have 2 tiny creatures running around? i don't know how you do it. if you have some magical secret you are withholding, please share. :)

porpoise said...

My magic secret: 2+ hrs commuting on the bus to and from work five times a week (knitting time) plus I read very quickly and do it while I'm knitting divided by spinning in the evenings after the kids are asleep all multiplied by going to bed too late and getting up to0 early.

Thankfully I have an uber-supportive and involved parenting partner with his own obsessions, I mean hobbies, and a couple of easygoing, fairly independent kids.