Friday, January 11, 2008

Fiber Friday: Sara need not read this post

No really S, I won't be upset if you just navigate away from this page right now. I'm sure you've got more important things to do. Seriously, all that's going on around here is normal, everyday, humdrum stuff. That's right, go read a good book or something. And if that's not enough for you, here's a couple of cute pictures of the girls on Christmas day.

christmas 103




christmas 067



OK, that's it. Get out of here. Scat!




...





...






...






...







Is she gone? Good.


OK, let me tell you something about Sara. Sara is one of my bestest friends ever since (my) junior year in college. She is a (semi)new knitter - she messed about with it a bit years ago I believe, but has been wanting to get back into it recently in a more serious fashion. She braved a weekend Chez Porpoise back in November and we made a trip to Yarntopia to get her set up. She walked away with several gorgeous skeins of yarn to make some hats. Given that she lives in Chicago, hats are a necessity.

Needless to say, despite many protestations of "I don't really know what I'm doing!", in short order she was zooming along on a beautiful alpaca hat for someone for Christmas. Disgusting I tell you. In any event, she seemed well on her way to getting sucked in by the Massive Fiber Black Hole that seems to be invading the world as we know it.

Now that she's out of the way, I can show you my most recent spinning project:

Picture 481




Wild Raspberry Targhee



This is handpainted Targhee roving in the colorway Wild Raspberry from Woodland Woolworks. I split the entire length of top into four pieces and spun them end to end at 12:1, using a short draw and smoothing the single as the twist went into the fiber (my standard "worsted" technique).

Wild Raspberry Targhee



I managed to get all 4 oz on to one bobbin, which I then chain plied at 7:1. I ended up with 274 yds of approximately DK weight yarn (14 wpi), soft, squishy, beautiful yarn. Yarn it was hard to part with (it all but killed me to wrap it up in tissue and stick it in a box), but yesterday was Sara's birthday. So the yarn is sitting here, along with some other goodies to further bring her over to the dark side, waiting to be shipped out tomorrow. If it does actually get mailed tomorrow, it will be the most timely birthday package either one of us has ever sent each other (case in point: when I was home with Boo on maternity leave, Sara allowed as how she had a package of goodies to send me. Boo is now almost walking, and said package is still somewhere in either Illinois or Wisconsin freezing it's poor little butt off, when it could be down here in Houston enjoying the loverly winter weather. But I digress...). Enjoy it sweetness!

Wild Raspberry Targhee



PS - Devil wants you to know this is from her too - she helped.

Pictures 059


No comments: