Thursday, January 10, 2008

Christmas FOs, Part I

Now that Christmas is past, I can actually show off the things I knitted for presents. This installment will include three items, and I'm waiting on photos of the others for the second installment. So without further ado, I present:

1) Endpaper Mitts

Endpaper Mitts


Pattern: Endpaper Mitts by Eunny Jang, knit for my lovely knitting sister-in-law
Yarn: fingering weight 100% wool recycled from two Goodwill sweaters
Needles: US size 0/1
Comments: this was a really fun pattern to knit. I had to go down a needle size for both the ribbing and the mitt itself - my first mitt knit on size 1/2s was big enough for my somewhat large hands, but would have swum on the intended recipient (my rather petite sister-in-law). The pattern knit up quite quickly for all the colorwork. This was the first time I'd knit colorwork since I learned how to knit Continental style a year and a half ago, so I got to hold one color in each hand. That certainly made things go faster! I kept the grey in my left hand throughout to maintain color dominance. The only modification I made was to work fewer rounds of the bottom ribbing on each mitt.

2) Dashing
Dashing

Dashing

Bottom picture is true to color

Pattern: Dashing from Knitty.com - made for my brother-in-law
Yarn: more recycled yarn from Goodwill - this one was nice and soft and cushy. Probably not 100% wool, but pretty darn soft.
Needles: ummmm...size 7? Whatever was called for by the pattern.
Comments/mods: Quick knit, yummy yarn, what's not to love? The directions for the cables as written in the pattern were completely confusing to me, so I just winged it. I liked these alot, and will probably do some for myself someday.

3) Everlasting Bagstopper

Everlasting Bagstopper

Everlasting Bagstopper

Pattern: Everlasting Bagstopper from Knitty.com for Brother's girlfriend (girlfriend-in-law?)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fine in Berry, 2 skeins held doubled
Needles: US size 5 and 10
Comments/mods: nice, quick knit. I wasn't sure how the gauge would work out since I used cotton/mohair instead of Hempathy, but it seemed to work out fine. Hopefully it won't stretch out too much! I didn't put in the elastic at the bottom because, well, it didn't get done before we left and then I kind of forgot about it. Oh well!

I'm working on a list of goals (I hate to call them resolutions) for the year, both fibery and non. Plus a return to Fiber Friday this week, provided I can get my photo taking butt in gear and figure out how to get good photos when I leave the house at 7:10 (dark out) and get home at 6:00 (even darker out).

1 comment:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Wow! I am constantly amazed at the beauty of the endpaper mitts! Yours are absolutely gorgeous! Hope your SIL enjoys them! The dashings are fabulous too. Great job!