Friday, September 28, 2007

FF: Thistle

I know, I know, I was supposed to post the second half of my fiber sampler review. But I can't because...I'm not done with the samples. Of the 1.5 I had left to finish, I still have 1.5 left. And I'm afraid I'm terribly unmotivated to do those last samples because I've gotten distracted. By this:

Picture 481

Wild Raspberry Handpainted Targhee top, Woodland Woolworks

And this:

Picture 487

Maldives, 21 micron merino, Hello Yarn Fiber Club September fiber

And this:

Picture 492

Mollusc, Wensleydale, Hello Yarn Club August fiber (I have 12 oz of this!)

And this:

Picture 496

Thistle, 18 micron merino, Hello Yarn Fiber Club June fiber

It's been a tough few weeks for me, with Devil being home sick more often then not, and me having a paper to revise and resubmit that I had just gotten started on when she got sick. I've been pretty wound up with trying to get work done, and take care of her, plus the fact that I am so not cut out to be a stay-at-home mom. I have infinite admiration for those who do stay home with their kids, but I am too much of an introvert to be happy taking care of someone all day without a break. So with the sick kid, and then the sick husband and the sick me (how Boo did not pick up this bug with forever remain a mystery on par with the final resting place of Mr. Hoffa*), and then more sick kid, I haven't been getting enough down time, which means I haven't been doing any spinning and hardly any knitting.

And on Monday I realized that I truly needed to just sit down that night and do my own thing. So I pulled out the big pile of Thistle roving, split it in two long strips and predrafted it. I wound it up into a ball and grabbed the wheel to get started. Before I knew it, it was almost 11:00 pm, and I had this:

Thistle in progress

What's more, I had some semblance of my sanity back. Phew.

*Literally 10 seconds after I typed this sentence I got a call from IronDad, who had just left the daycare after his lunchtime Boo visit. I asked him how she was doing, and he said "Well, it's kind of up in the air as to whether or not she's getting sick." I'm glad someone up there has a fucking sense of humor. But at least I have some merino waiting for me at home...

No comments: