Thursday, August 2, 2007

No really, there is progress being made

I just haven't gotten my act together enough to blog/photograph it. So for this post, you'll just have to take my word for it on what's been done.

I've been working on Coachella off and on during my commutes for the last week or so (since there's nothing like whipping a big pile of knitting out of your bag to freak out your fellow commuters), and it's almost done. However, I realized that I haven't posted any details about it since the teaser shot when I first started. I'm using Berroco Flax for this top, a 100% linen worsted weight, in a natural color. My initial thoughts about this yarn were none too happy - it kind of feels like knitting with kitchen twine, although it is rather soft. Originally I was going to use this yarn for Eileen from No Sheep for You, but there was no way in hell I was going to get gauge, plus it's a bit on the splitty side, which was the death knell for any pattern with p3tbl! This yarn also sheds quite a bit - I get big clouds of tiny linen fibers floating aroung and sticking to everything every time I move it. Not so cool, but no one has yet complained about a linen allergy so I guess I'm in the clear.

I did swatch for Eileen, and washed my swatch, so I knew that the yarn didn't really change gauge with washing (although I didn't hang the swatch to see about length over time). So I just started right in - first time starting I used US7 for the "ribbing" and US8 for the body. Decided the 7s were too small, and redid the ribbing with US8, which I liked much better.

That's the only major modification I've made so far, and it's speeding along. I've finished the increases at the bottom, so now I need to try it on again when I get home and decide how long I want it to be. Since I don't know if it's going to stretch much lengthwise, I'm going to be a bit conservative on the length. Hopefully I'll get it done and blocked over the weekend, and be able to wear it next week.

PS - Pea Pod is done but for the buttons. And trimming the ends that I left from weaving in. Maybe that will be this afternoon's commuting project, cause my friend's poor wife is about to explode!

No comments: