Monday, July 2, 2007

Back to the races

Yesterday was my triumphant return to the world of triathlon post-Boo. I am glad to be back, even in a slower, larger version then a few years ago. And it went much better then my first race back after Devil was born (where I landed on the pavement 6 miles into the bike and was laid up with road rash and a pulled back muscle for about a month).

The day did not start auspiciously – our drive down to Pearland was very dark, punctuated with brilliant flashes of lightening and the proverbial Ark-floating downpour. It’s always a bit of a concern when the place you’re headed for is completely hidden by the Black Cloud of Doom. The transition area was very wet, the thunder was booming, and I was pretty sure this race wasn’t going to happen at all. But eventually we all got lined up for a hop into the pool. The first racers started just as the thunder started up again. But they kept going (and got through the swim without mishap thankfully). Most sprint races in this part of Texas have pool swims, there being few appropriate (and clean) bodies of water for swimming in and loads of pools. Somehow there was a mix up on my swim time (swim is self-seeded, so you send in a predicted swim time when you enter and you start with people who swim about the same as you) and I ended up passing six or seven people in 300 meters. Hauled out of the water (only two seconds slower then the time I’d sent in) and ran off to transition.

My transitions were just a wee bit rusty after more then a year off, but I finally got out onto the bike course. It was very wet and slick, although the rain had tapered off quite a bit. The road was about as good as they get down here – fairly smooth, no major expansion joints or potholes. I felt pretty good on the bike, although I had no idea how fast I was going since my computer crapped out on me (maybe it doesn’t like the rain?), but I finished about when I thought I would. And then it was off on the run.

The usual M.O. for my triathlon experience is this: kick butt on the swim, fly on the bike, and then watch all those people I just passed speed by on the run. I am not a small person. I do not run quickly. In fact, I run quite slowly. Mr. Iron Man runs about twice as fast as I do at his race pace and my easy pace. So I knew what was to come. I decided as I headed out (legs aching and thinking to myself “Whose bright idea was this anyway?) that my goal for the run was no walking. Given the problems I’ve been having with my feet (@(#&$)^% plantar fasciitis), this seemed like a reasonable goal. No walking and passing the two very large guys I could see ahead of me. The run course started off through the park and then turned onto a gravel path for about half a mile. As soon as I hit the path, the sky opened up and the deluge commenced again in earnest. My first thought was “I’m glad I’m not still riding!” and the second was “My feet are getting really wet, but hey – it’s not four bazillion degrees out!” As suspected the run was slow. Very slow. But I didn’t stop and I did pass the Clydesdales I’d marked at the start, as well as some other folks. Came to the finish line and there was the family cheering away. Well, Iron Man was cheering, while Boo drooled and Devil watched, thumb firmly in mouth.

The best part of the day (other then finishing the bike upright and road rash-free)? Walking in the rain over to the transition area holding hands with Devil, and having her look up at me and say “Yay Mama!” I was tired, my feet were killing me, but my daughter was excited to be out there, even with the crappy weather. There’s not much more I could ask for.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your tri! it's a real acheivement & awesome to share with your kids.
I used to do triathlons too & plan to complete another one next summer (that's February for us down here!), not big distances - just a mini-women's triathlon but I am looking forward to it!

porpoise said...

Thanks Libby - I find that these days, the sprint races are about all I can manage to train for (or not train for as the case might be). At some point I'll be able to get back up to longer distances, but for the moment, I'm just enjoying being out there again. Good luck with your race!